What is Badminton and how can Podiatry help?
Badminton is a racquet sport where a shuttlecock is hit across a net. It is mostly played as “singles” and “doubles”. The sport is often played as a casual outdoor activity in a yard or on a beach; formal games are played on a rectangular indoor court.
Common lower limb injuries due to the explosive nature of badminton are:
Injury to the ligament around your ankle. This is caused by going over on your ankle when playing badminton.
Management of an Ankle Sprain
- PRICE (Protect, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate);
- Ultrasound, laser, massage, dry needling, and strapping;
- Gentle ROM exercises, strength work and balance/proprioception exercises.
Commonly known as Achilles Tendonitis and is a common cause of lower calf and heel pain.
Management of Achilles Tendinopathy
- PRICE if the Achilles is swollen;
- Take over the counter pain killers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen to manage pain;
- Massage, dry needling, ultrasound, laser, stretches and progressive strength exercises;
- Podiatry footwear assessment to check whether you need orthoses.
Overuse or inflammation of the tendon that connects the kneecap to the shin bone.
Management of Patellar Tendonitis
- Patella tendon strap or taping, gentle mobilisation of the patella tendon and a progressive eccentric loading exercise program.
Footwear for Badminton
Badminton shoes have a thinner sole to lower your centre of gravity and cut the risk of injuries. As such, regular running shoes are not normally suitable for badminton. However, if you are prone to shin splints, you may need insoles to cushion your feet.
At the Foot and Ankle Clinic our highly qualified team of Podiatrists are all members of the Australian Podiatry Association and offer a combined 50 years’ experience. They are trained to diagnose and effectively treat injuries relating to badminton.
Put your feet in our hands! See us today in Boronia, Chadstone, Melbourne CBD, East Bentleigh, East Melbourne, Moe, Morwell, Mount Waverley, Pakenham, Sale, Traralgon, Warragul, Yarram & Online Store and Retail Enquiries. NO REFERRAL NEEDED!.